Reichstag Building

Glass dome at roof top of Reichstag Building

The Reichstag building has been the home of the German Parliament (in german: Bundestag), since its reconstruction completed in 1999, led by architect Norman Foster.

The historical building dates back to 1894 when it was built by the German Empire to house the Imperial Diet, and later succeeded by the Reichstag of the Weimar Republic. It was also used by Nazi Germany but was abandoned after a fire in 1933.

The large glass dome at the roof top of the Reichstag has a 360-degree view of the surrounding Berlin cityscape. The main hall of the parliament below can also be seen from inside the dome, and natural light from above radiates down to the parliament floor. A large sun shield tracks the movement of the sun electronically and blocks direct sunlight which would not only cause large solar gain, but dazzle those below.

The building and the dome is open to visitors.
Prior registration must be made and in good time as it is a very popular attraction.
Online registration is made at its website www.bundestag.de.

Opening times:
Daily from 8.00 to 24.00 hrs

Admission
Every quarter of an hour
Last admission: 22.00 hrs

Closures
The rooftop terrace and the dome are closed all day on 24 December and from 16.00 hrs onwards on 31 December. In addition, the dome will be closed to visitors from 9 to 13 March, from 6 to 10 July, from 20 to 24 July and from 19 to 23 October 2015 to allow cleaning and maintenance work to be carried out. The roof terrace can still be visited when the dome is closed.

Address:
Platz der Republik,
Berlin
View on map

Website:
http://www.bundestag.de